Boring

On second thought...maybe I shouldn't call this post boring, it could be a self-fulfilling prophesy.  What I've been thinking of is how NOT to be boring.  I've been going through a patch of life where I feel dissatisfied almost all the time.  No matter what I'm doing or who I'm with I wish I was somewhere else...nowhere specific, just not wherever I am.  I've wondered why that is.  Do I have a short attention span?  Can I change it or am I doomed to be perpetually somewhat bored?  What an awful fate.

Objectively thinking, there is nothing boring about my life.  It's awesome.  I have sweet friends, I live in a place where the things I love to do are accessible, I only work part time so I have lots of time to play, I have a great education, I try to spend my time doing meaningful things.  Oh, and the best part, I LOVE the church I belong to!  The scriptures and other books I read are an endless source of new and inspiring ideas.  I think there are probably millions of people on earth who will never have the privileges and opportunities that have been handed to me because of the family I was born into and some good but simple choices I have made along my way.  Don't do drugs.  Go to college.  Believe in God.  Love friends and family.  I've done nothing extraordinary to get the wonderful life I have.  How ungrateful to think that my charmed life is boring.

Which leads me to the most harrowing possibility of all.  Am I bored because I'm a boring person?  I want to have more self confidence than to believe that but...I can't help but wonder.  When I run out of things to talk about with someone, my thoughts go something like this "Do they run out of things to talk about with other people too?  Is this awkward silence my fault or does it happen to them so regularly that they're used to it and aren't even trying to think of something to talk about?  AM I THE BORING ONE?!"
Ok so maybe that's a little dramatic but I just have to wonder...

To ensure that I'm not boring I'm going to do a few things.
1. Write in this blog more.  Writing down ideas helps me develop them, and people with good ideas aren't boring.
2. Have ideas that are actually realistic.  One of my great strengths (is it a strength?) is thinking of impossible ideas that would be really funny or creative or amazing if they could happen.  But they can't.  I want to try to work on having more constructive thoughts that are actually feasible.
3. Do something about the ideas I have.  That way when people ask me "So, what are you doing this summer?"  I don't have to give the ultimate conversation stopper, "Oh, just working."  I'll have some great ideas that I'm working on so at least I can hold up my end of a get-to-know-you conversation and not have to bank on the other person having something amazing to talk about.  

There are a lot of reasons to try to do great things, but tonight, I'm setting goals because I just don't want to be bored or worse, BORING!

And every good blog post has a picture so here you go

This is my brother's dog, Diggler.  He is the best dog I have ever met!  This is where he slept during our Thanksgiving vacation.  That's right, on my bed.
I want a dog like Diggler!

The End!

Comments

Kaela said…
You're not boring, you silly girl! You're too unique to be boring :)

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart