Liberty Divine

This weekend I went to the best fireworks show this side of the Atlantic Ocean, at least for me it is. It takes place every year on the 2nd or 3rd of July in Lander, Wyoming.  It's put on by a wonderful family, the Bills.

"So...Why not on the 4th?"  I asked the first time I went to the show 6 years ago.
Well, check this out:
"The Second Day of July 1776 will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. . . . It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires, and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."
John Adams to Abigail Adams, July 3, 1776 (http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/american_originals/declarat.html)

The vote for independence actually took place on the 2nd, and the declaration penned by Thomas Jefferson was adopted two days later on the 4th!  So the Bills are following John Adams' advice, and I think that is pretty legit!  This is just one of the many things I have learned from the Bills family due to their zeal for America and her history.

Even more importantly than fun facts about the USA the Bills family has taught me to value people in my life, no matter how short or long they stay.  I only go up there once a year for a day or two, but I feel like part of their family.  Almost everyone knows my name, and remembers specific things we talked about the year before.  Their sincere care and love for each person who makes the trip to come see their show is so touching.  Even the little ones running around everywhere are sweet and friendly to all the strangers.  The bonds between members of their family are so strong they all but visible.  They are a model of what I want my own family to be like when I grow up, which surely will happen one of these days :)

To me, spending time with the Bills is the best part of every visit to Lander, but  the show itself is completely incredible and worth the trip!  

 
This is the view from the top of the hill.  Hours before the show there are already a few hundred people scattered, staking out their spots.  Past them you can see the hill with all the fireworks on it, and beyond that the miles of cars lined up on the road.  They broadcast the music and dialogue for the show on the radio so people can watch it from their cars!  Undoubtedly the experience is best up close where you can FEEL the booms and occasionally the pieces of firework raining down.  Yeah, that's how close you get to sit!


This is one of the lines of fireworks spread across the hill.

Cars lined up along the road.  Keep in mind this is still a few hours before the show started.

Oh, and these are all the cars looking the other way down the road.

From the road, looking past the fireworks up to the crowd.  That's the Bill's barn on the left.

I thought these people had a pretty good idea for a way to wach the show!

A very patriotic 4-wheeler shuttles people up and down the driveway if they aren't feeling up for the trek in the hot Wyoming evening.

Me with some very friendly British soldiers in sneakers!  They are a fun part of the show.  This year they staged a little Lexington and Concord reenactment.  See what I mean?  So worth coming to!

Is all that equipment for a front-yard fireworks show?  Why yes, yes it is!  These fireworks are hooked up to electric match that is wired to the computer and synchronized to a dialogue and patriotic songs.  There is nothing more graceful than good firework choreography!
If you look past the computer tent you can see the red stuff strung up behind it.  The winners of a quiz and essay contest about the Constitution get to light that at which points it becomes a giant wall of fire to start off the show!  So cool!

Hey...are those American rebels up there on the hill?  


I was so happy to be there!  I look forward to next year's show from the moment the last one is over!

This is not as important, but it's still pretty cool.  The Bills have a climbing wall in their garage!  You see, on the left: garage.  Right: climbing wall.  Whhhaaa?  How awesome is that?  Their garage and barn almost make me drool.  They are full of fireworks equipment, snow mobiles, kayaks, canoes, and all manner of fun stuff.  This is a family that knows how to work and how to PLAY!

Sun setting= show approaching!

My friend Nathan in the setting sun.  

What a sunset.  What a guy!



My buddy Nathan and I have gone up to this show together 3 of the past 6 years.  This year he drove 16 hours, all the way from Phoenix, to be there.  It wouldn't have been the same without him!  
This is either the first or second time we went up, 5 or 6 years ago.  That year we came up early to help set up the show.  After working in the field for 2 days we were a bit more sweaty and sunburned than we were this year.  I loved every minute of it!  It seems like it was yesterday, how times flies!
The fireworks themselves are impossible to take pictures of, but here is a youtube video that will give you a tiny idea.  I really think it's the best show in the country!  AND it is doubly amazing that it is put on by Brother Bills, an orthodontist in a small Wyoming town, and his family.  No fancy company, just an amazing family with a vision of a service they can provide their friends and community.  Isn't that what America is all about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Xb39s6Y4E&feature=related

I am pretty sure I was sitting right next to the guy who took this video.  Oh boy, I just cried watching it again :)

So, why would the Bills and all the volunteers who help them give so much of themselves for a fireworks show?  Because they truly and deeply believe in what we are celebrating this time of year.  They believe in the constitution and deeply appreciate the liberty it has granted us thus far.  Their love for our nation is contagious and has made me stop occasionally and think "would I be able to do what I'm doing if it weren't for the Constitution?"  It has helped me appreciate 'liberty divine'.  How much would we be able to progress personally if we were not free to make all the decisions and have all the opportunities we have in this country?  

Though I felt elated at times, I shed more than a few tears during America the Beautiful, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and The Star Spangled Banner.  

From America the Beautiful:
"Thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears." 
 That line brings tears to my eyes every time.  How I wish it was true.  I served my mission in LA and saw many many tears, many people stuck in a form of slavery to their 'patrones' with no one to stand up for them and no way to stand up for themselves.  People I loved were not able to get healthcare, get into college, have access to healthy food, or proper sanitation.  I wish all our cities were bathed in fewer tears.

From Battle Hymn:
"He is sifting out the hearts of mean before His judgement seat.  Oh be swift my soul to answer Him, be jubilant my feet!"
How pure are our hearts?  Whether or not any citizen believes in God as I do, are they trying to do what is right?  Are they committed to making our liberty endure?  Am I?

From The Star Spangled Banner
"O say does that star spangled banner yet wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"
We certainly still wave our beloved banner, but is the land it represents still free?  Are we who are blessed to live here still brave enough to keep it free?

I wish that the values integral in the founding of our country were still as strong as they once were.  It seems like the general thought now is to mistrust the government because everything it does is probably motivated by some politician's personal gain.  I can't say that I know that's true, or that it is not.  But even the fact that many people have reason to feel that way is so sad. 

I love my country, I am so proud of those who were part of its struggle for independence, and to be able to try to live for what they dreamed of.  They were ordinary people with really good ideas they were willing to stand up for.  How are we any different?  
I believe that everyone who is here or who comes here should have the opportunity to have life, and liberty, and to pursue happiness and prosperity.

Long live liberty divine!

Comments

Mom said…
Incredibly well said, daughter of mine. Over the land of the free and the home of the brave. I don't know which comes first, brave or free. I just know they need to go together to become one.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart