I like Utah

Utah and I have had a love/hate relationship since I came here in 2004 as a barely 18 year old college freshman.  
It was too hot.
The people were too different.
The mountains were to small.
The camping was too sissy.
Everything was too easy.
It was too hot.
It was too hot.
Did I mention it was too hot?
After a long long (approaching a decade) time I am finally announcing the big news. Utah has finally convinced me that I LIKE IT HERE!  I 'all the way' like it.  No more 'if only it were a little more like Alaska'.  I like it just the way it is and here are a few reasons that I have pictures to go with.


Sunset drives in the mountains



When my friends come to visit there is A TON of fun stuff to do!
Amen

Accessible and pristine mountain lakes




Afternoon thunder storms in late summer

First hikes of the season and friends who are up for hiking in the snow

New places to go cliff jumping


Half marathons through the rainy desert in Moab- BEAUTIFUL

Zion, and all the other amazing national parks within a days drive

Horses!  I've been obsessed with horses since I can remember, and Utah has lots of them.  And great people like Valerie who will talk you riding with them!

Going to Zupas for a mission farewell and seeing Jimmer Fredette there.

Burning our Christmas tree in 13 seconds in a driveway.

Exploring abandoned mines in dry canyons

BYU intramurals and associated t-shirts (which we had just won for ultimate frisbee in this picture)!  I have played so many intramurals this summer that I know a lot of the officials by name.  The guy getting our t-shirts out of the box is Dustin, he's one of my favorites.  He teases me for accidentally naming two teams after myself one season.
Intramurals gives me my 'team-sports fix' that is hard to get once you're out of high school.


Traveling far and wide with these lovely people to go to random hot springs in the middle of a prairie!

And last but not least, my MSW program, and the people I have met because of it.

I love Utah.  I love the people, I love the weather, I love the land, I love it! 

Alaska, you're still my first love, but I might just stay here for a while.

Comments

Starla said…
And don't forget you love Utah because the Phillips live here (who love you, too!!!)

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart