The price of Adventure

Every summer I find a new "thing" that my summer ends up revolving around.  This summer it has been frisbee.  Finally it came back to bite me and I "separated my shoulder" by running into someone.  I'm actually not exactly sure what that means, all I know is that my shoulders look quite different now (see exhibit A below, the shoulder on the left is the hurt one) and that it hurts A LOT.


I have been trying not to do anything that would re-injure my shoulder so I have been reading, going for walks, visiting friends, etc.  I even went out in a thunderstorm just for some adventure.

Provo pre-thunder storm



Provo post thunder storm

But then I got bored.  And I watched A River Runs Through It.  And I started aching for mountains and rivers and fresh air and maybe a little bit of danger!  So when my friend called to see if I wanted to go mountain biking with him, I said yes and took some pain killers.
At least when I make bad decisions, they are also fun!  
It was a perfect day in the mountains.  We found a trail we had been looking for forever, the weather was perfect, the place was beautiful, everything was perfect.   Except it hurt A LOT to bike.


Me:How come you never smile in pictures?
Him: I don't know, it doesn't look cool.
Me: Oh, should I try not smiling?
Him: Yeah, try it.

Me: Did that one look better?
Him: Yeah, you look cooler in that one.

That discussion was so mundane that it felt bizarre and so I thought it was funny.  Funny enough to share for some reason.




Afterwards we talked about how amazing it was in the mountains and wondered if we were appreciating it enough.  If we had had the exact same experience in Switzerland might we have paid more attention or been more grateful?
Maybe, but I know through the whole day I kept thinking to myself "I don't know if I've ever been to a place more beautiful."

Today I had to take some more intense pain killers which was not fun, but thus is the price of adventure.

Anyway, usually I try to blog when I have something meaningful to say, but I guess I just felt like sharing these pictures in a way slightly more private than Facebook.

Here's to maybe writing better in the future?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart