What's the Frequency Kenneth?

5-4-05
I feel like such an adult! Today I woke up, made myself French toast, did some laundry, mended some pants, had lunch with Tanya (my boss), made a Quiche with Kaela, came home and did some more laundry! And my plans for tonight are go to YW and play softball then go running, maybe catch up on my National Geographics that I missed while I was at school. I can’t believe how…normal life is without all my crazy buddies here. When I was at school I got really good at having a lot of things to do and getting them all done, now I need to get better at actually making the list myself. I start working at the pool tomorrow again, and I’m actually excited about it. Now that I have seen felt and tasted the reason I need money it’s a lot easier to motivate myself to work, and I certainly can’t complain about my job, it doesn’t get a whole lot better than life guarding (with the exception of course of working on the boats).
I woke up this morning with the song What’s the Frequency Kenneth by REM stuck in my head. What does one do with a day like that?
I was thinking today about adults who write children’s book from the point of view of children. They probably can’t really remember what it was like to be a child and I child can’t REALLY tell you what it’s like to be a child, so they just make it their best guess. Kids read them and feel like they should relate to them, so they change their mindset to relate to the books they’re reading about what they’re supposed to be like. I wonder if kids are actually influenced that way. I wonder if it makes them more adult sooner, or if they just become different kind of kiddish. Maybe not everyone was as impressionable as I was when I was little. I ate everything up as truth (which caused me to be the biggest scardey cat).
Some things I forgot about home: hardly any judgment is passed based on how you look because everyone has known each other for so long. NOW I remember why I am the way I am. At school I sort of forgot why I don’t care about dressing up.
Everything smells like sticky sap in the spring here
If it looks sunny it is still not ok to go out without a coat because it’s cold!
Boys having long hair is not weird
If you don’t spend every waking moment of a sunny day outside you are crazy

I made an appointment to take my cat the vet yesterday but I realized I don’t have a car. I ended up sticking him in my back pack and riding down town, he didn’t seem to mind too much. He’s a good cat. He has lost A LOT of weight since Christmas. Either he’s trying to get in shape so he can catch baby birds or he’s diabetic or something

that's all for now

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sarah I love ya! Isn't that weird all the things you realize you miss when you go back to the place we call home?

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart