Because I have been given much

I went to a fireside (which is a spiritual address) this past Sunday presented by a couple who had been on a service mission to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.  They showed slide after slide of people who walk miles and miles to get water for their families.  And after all theri efforts, many family members die because the water the return with is contaminated.  It was heart wrenching to see, and it made me so happy that the church is trying to help them have access to clean water.  Even if we can only help a few villages and cities, I'm so glad we are helping.

One of the points they made was that no matter how hard our lives are, no matter how many tests we have, or dates we don't have, if the weather is too bad for us to go skiing--whatever our plight may be, when we come home at night we can turn on a faucet and out comes water that will not kill us.  As much of it as we want.  At whatever temperature as we want.  Any time we want.

I've never been so keenly aware of what a luxury that is.  And if water is a luxury, what is there to say about all my food, and my car, a university with every facility and opportunity I can dream of, of places where my sister can have her baby and we don't have to worry about either of them dying?  If I were ever to call the police I am confident they would have nothing but my safety and best-interest in mind.  It wouldn't cost me a bribe, or a fee, or even require me to pull political strings.  I have warm blankets given to me by people that love me that keep me even more comfortable in my safe and heated apartment.  I could go on and on.

At the end of the fireside we sang this hymn

Because I have been given much, I too must give,
because of thy great bounty Lord each day I live
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see
who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered fed by thy good care
I cannot see another's lack and I not share
my glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my roof safe shelter overhead
that he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord
I'll share that love again according to thy word
I will give love to those in need, I'll share that love by word and deed
thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

I remember the first time I felt the gravity of these words.  After a lesson while I was investigating the church we sang this song, and like a lightning bolt, the knowledge was set in my mind that I was being given the greatest gift in the world.  I realized that because of that gift, much would be asked of me.  I remember feeling apprehensive both about what I have that I could give, and my willingness to give what was needed.  I know now that the greatest gifts I have to give are the ones I received by receiving the Gospel--light and truth.  They are not free or easy to give away.  The price to the giver is your whole heart.  Living and giving with wholeheartedness feels vulnerable at first, but there are a few things that have helped me.
1. You have so much more to lose by withholding wholeheartedness than by expressing it
and
2. That when you wholeheartedly share your light and truth you are uplifted in a way that becomes your armory against vulnerability, and shame.
(I didn't mean to borrow this from her, but I'm hearing Brene Brown's voice in my head as I write this)

I'm am so grateful for what I have been given.  I feel like if I worked every day for my whole life and never received another thing I could never pay it back.  I wouldn't even know who to pay it back to.  I'll work to pay it forward instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart