Classy

This is Mandi, she is my classiest friend, and possibly the classiest person alive.  Let me tell you some thing she has taught me about being classy.

When I asked Mandi what IS being classy, this is what she said, 
"Being classy means being kind to everyone." 
 I was expecting something like, "you have to dress this way, and act this way, and do such and such kinds of things," but I like Mandi's answer so much more.
Mandi and I have been friends now for several years.  She is the girl I call if something needs to get done and done right.  She's the one I call when I need a movie and some deep conversation.  She's who I call when I need someone to tell it to me straight.
Mandi is the one who hugs everyone she sees every time she sees them, and gives spontaneous back rubs, and invites you over for AMAZING meals and never expects a thing in return.

This week I had the chance to have 2 really special experiences with Mandi that showed two incredible sides of her.  First I got to tag along with her at work.  Mandi works as a casting director for LDS Motion Picture Studios, she's kind of a big deal.  She and I talk about her job a lot and I had wanted to go see what it was like for, oh I don't know, YEARS!  Finally there was a day when they needed 300 extras, so they also needed a few extra people to help keep the extras organized and alive (filming people dressed in heavy new testament robes in the middle of the desert in 110 degrees can be a bit dangerous), and I was one of the lucky chosen few!  

They call her Queen of the Set.  She gets a radio with a ear piece like on the Matrix so she can hear everything that is going on.  Everyone wants to ask Mandi questions, everyone wants to be her best friend because she calls the casting shots.  She handled every moment with poise, grace, kindness and class no matter how hot the weather, or how inane and persistant the questions.  At the end of an 18 hour day of being in charge, positive, and responsible for hundreds of people, she was dead on her feet but still smiling and sincerely thanking people for coming.  I was basically a zombie, but just aware enough to be in awe of her.

Mandi works 18-20 hour days for months while they're shooting, and doesn't get a lot of time off, so the time she does get off is precious, as you might imagine.  And what did Mandi decide to do with her Friday off?  She went with me to get my wisdom teeth out!  She basically carried me back to my house when the anesthesia started to wear off.  She rubbed my back and didn't laugh too much when I burst into tears because I couldn't take my pills, and when I saw some homeless people on TV, and when I tried to tell her thank you (narcotics will do that to you).  She translated for me when my mouth was so numb and swollen that I couldn't really talk.  Then she proceeded, unasked, to think of EVERYTHING I could possibly need, get my drugs from the store, push fluids, make me eat, keep track of which pills to take when, and gather friends to come visit me.  She stayed with me literally all day.  Oh, and I only asked her for a ride.
"And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain."

Me trying reeeaaaalllyy hard to smile.  I felt a lot worse than I look.

Me "smiling" and beautiful Mandi

Possibly my very favorite thing about her is how she is able to see both the bad and the good in people and love them as if there were only good.  Too often I think I let less desirable qualities that I notice taint the way I treat people.  She truly is kind, and not just to people it is easy to be kind to.  


I am so grateful to Mandi and all my friends like her.  She is an inspiration to everyone she meets, especially me!



Comments

Emmers said…
Mandi is all that you said. Amen sister!
Emmers said…
Mandi is all that you said. Amen sister!
This comment has been removed by the author.
I am Mandi's Aunt and can tell you Mandi is and always has been this way. I love her so much! She reminds me of her mother and her grandmother too. The qualities she posesses are of more worth than any other. This post literally made me cry because...it is so true and she is ALL class!
Chantel said…
Wow, I loved this. First of all, I wanted to tell you that I loved seeing you at the studio! I know I don't know you super well, but I feel a connection with you, because I remember a comment you left me in one of my darkest times and it meant so SO much to me.

Second, I really appreciate that you wrote this about Mandi. I only know her through work, but she always says hi to me when she walks passed my office, and I think she is so friendly. Not to mention beautiful. It made me realize that I should get to know her more because she is like a little hidden gem in this society. We need lots more loving and selfless people like her (and you!) Love you both!!

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart