Tribute

This is me and my Mom.
 People often recognize her as my mom before I introduce her, they say we look alike.  I'm always flattered when people say that because my mom is a completely beautiful person inside and out.

I don't know where to start in talking about my mom.  Everyone who knows her knows what I mean.  She is hard to put into words.  I've never met a person like her.

There are the classic stories about her
The time she dressed up like Santa Claus and went walking around town spreading Christmas cheer
The time she spontaneously took a truckload of groceries to a friend having a rough time
The time she drove by herself with three little kids to Minnesota
How we  had a signed a contract outlining the rules of the house
How she is so smart is it not even funny
How she has spent TONS of hours volunteering in the community
The time she (and my dad of course) raised three children into balanced, principled, happy adults who love her and each other.

This lady has had an enormous effect on me.  We don't get to see each other very often at this point but I wish she could see how much her influence affects my daily life.

I learned to be curious from her. 
 I learned to value adventure and the unknown.  I learned to dream, and believe that even though something is hard I probably can do it if I want to.  And if someone tells me I can't I probably shouldn't listen to them (for better or for worse).

She taught me to love culture.  THAT is an accomplishment!  I grew up in a tiny little town in Alaska, but my mom volunteered with the arts council which brought all kinds of performing groups to our town and into our home.  This gave me a GREAT appreciation for all kinds of art, and a hunger to see more.

My mom tries to figure stuff out and fix it if it's broken.  She is handier than most of the guys I know.


My mom is as principled as anyone I have ever known.  Even when her principles put her in difficult situations, she sticks with them.

For the past 8 years or so sort of the background music to the relationship between me and my mom has been the issue of religion.  When I was 18 I joined the LDS church.  It has been hard for both of us at times.  Even heart-wrenching.  Though we have had our deep and vehement disagreements about that I cannot express how much I admire the way she has handled this.  She has been amazing. We've managed to come through it with great love, respect, and understanding for each other, and I feel VERY fortunate that she is the kind of person who wants to, and can make that happen despite how difficult it was.

I love it when my mom encourages me to be myself.  It means a lot to me that she doesn't care if I am like everyone else, or anyone else.  She just wants me to be me, and she will be proud of that, whatever it is.  Even if she doesn't agree with it, she is still proud of me and loves that I am being true to myself.  It gives me confidence and courage.

I love her and it was hard to write this without crying!

Comments

Kaela said…
Having a similar dynamic as you two have, religion wise, I would love to add that one of the best gifts Mary Lou ever gave you (as my mom did for me) was to provide you with a healthy, supportive environment where you could develop into exactly the person you wanted to become. Not a lot of kids are given that. Happy Mother's Day Mary Lou!

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart