Music Therapy Part 1

I graduated officially.  It was actually pretty overwhelming and sad and I don't really want to write about yet, but my whole family came to visit and that was AWESOME!
So instead of writing about graduation I'm gonna do some music therapy!  For myself I mean, like this is my music therapy.
I usually don't listen to the songs people put up on their blogs, so I don't really expect people to listen to mine, I just wanted to share that they're cool and why.
There are a lot of stupid songs about life and relationships but these are some that I think actually have great lyrics (or at least great lines) and they mean something to me personally.

First and newest: Pink- Just Give Me a Reason.
Some of the lyrics of this song are really corny but the chorus is fantastic.

"Just give me a reason,
just a little bit's enough,
just a second we're not broken just bent,
and we can learn to love again.

It's in the stars
It's been written on the scars on our hearts
we're not broken just bent
and we can learn to love again."

This is what I wish so many couples who come to see me saw in themselves- they're not broken just bent.  This is also how I have felt about relationships of mine that have fallen apart.  I have felt deeply disappointed because I was pretty positive they were savable and either I or him just weren't willing to put into it what was needed.  And I miss the good that was in those.


Next, obviously Jason Mraz- I Won't Give Up
This video actually made me cry, right now.
Isn't this everyone's favorite relationship song?  Seriously though, he is a genius to write about something so real in such a real way, a way full of goodness.

"And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
to be right where you are
How old is your soul?"

"And when you're needing your space
to do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
to see what you find.
'Cause even the stars, they burn
some even fall to the earth
we've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it."

"Our differences they do a lot to teach us all the tools and gifts we got,
yeah we got a lot at stake.
But in the end you're still my friend at least we did intend for us to work
we didn't break we didn't burn,
we had to learn how to bend without the world caving in.
I had to learn what I got, and what I'm not, and who I am."

I definitely have a hard time letting people in and letting myself love people in a way that will last.  But when I do, as far as I can tell I love them pretty much forever no matter what they do, where they go, how bad it hurts, or how long between times we see each other.   Once I REALLY see the potential and divinity in them and that makes our relationship worth anything in the world to me.  This is probably the song that expresses that the best for me, as I'm sure for countless others.

Poison- Every Rose Has Its Thorn
This song also just made me cry.  I had a really brave roommate once who taught me the magic of 80s music.  She LOVED this song.  It gets at something that is almost too painful to talk about.  I'm glad someone wrote a song about it so I know I'm not the only one.  I like the Poison version best but I just couldn't post any of the videos they made, this is a pretty good cover.

End music therapy part 1.

Comments

Jackie Larson said…
I'm ALWAYS proud of you Sarah! I love reading your posts, especially this one. :) Music certainly has a way of speaking to the soul. Real music will convey a feeling, not just words. If it doesn't make you feel something, it's not music. I'm glad you found music that understands and knows you. And especially happy that Poison is one of them. :) Love you!
Anonymous said…
oh YES! I'm not familiar with that 3rd one but I'm listening now. The Jason Mraz one makes me cry every time. still to this day. And the Pink one I shrieked so loudly in my car 2 days ago that my jaw hurt and my throat went dry. I'm with you on every level!! Relationships are tough, tough stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart