A day good enough to make up for the rest of the week

"Some people use higher education like a sports car that goes 220 miles per hour...driven slowly at 20, so everyone can see you.  Use your education to it's fullest potential, drive it 220 miles per hour, use it for what it's for, make it matter that you were here."
-Wes Moore (paraphrased)

"Everyone's destiny is an important to the long term safety and development of our community as ours own."

I got to hear an INSPIRING speaker today.  Wes Moore.  He wrote a book that parallels his successful life with a death row inmate's.  The kicker is...their beginning circumstances were shockingly similar.  It explores the relationship between the individual and the community and is pretty darn amazing.  I haven't finished it yet but I already recommend it.  It's called The Other Wes Moore.

I like his book, but I really liked him as well.  During his book signing he made a true and honest point to make eye contact with each of us, shake our hands, ask our names and what we were doing with our lives, and say something personal and inspiring.  I like him, I want to be able to have that kind of positive influence.


That's Wes, next to me.  My awesome friends Trevin and Rainy are also next to me.  I was in great company today :)

He made me think of role models I know in the community.  One of them is a doc I work with at one of the hospital.  He is one of the kindest doctors I have met.  He is also brilliant.  And compassionate.  And well connected.  And real.  And patient.  And he has chosen to work with some of the lowest of the low.  And somehow all of those softer traits seem to give him a lot of influence.  

I asked him the other day what he did before working at the hospital, he said he worked for the county mental health agency.  When I mentioned him to another person in my field they were like...umm he didn't work for them.  He was the director.

So I forgot to mention he is humble.

This brings me to my grateful things

1. I'm grateful to be in contact with people who have such a positive power in them.

2. I'm grateful for the opportunities I have had to get an education, and the experiences that have caused me to reflect on what I want that to mean to the world.  I want the world to be a better place because I got a higher education.  Certainly a lot of people invested in me.  My parents, my teachers, my community, my church, the taxpayers, and so many others who supported me along the way.  It better matter.  I better make it matter.

3. I got to run in the mountains today with someone who loves the mountains here like I love Valdez

Tell me why I didn't move to Salt Lake before please?

In addition I got to go to a performance by a community band playing French-inspired music accompanying a community ballet company (both groups were very talented) in a beautiful 100 year old building.  Seriously, this place.

Also I was trying to help my friend find his passport, we scoured his room, prayed, and found it right after.  That has worked for me countless times.  In fact, I don't think it has ever not worked.

Such a good day, I could go on and on, but I don't believe in long blogs :)

Comments

E.M.R. said…
You got to meet WES MOORE? I'm so jealous. I read his book and loved it. And try to convince lots of other people to read his book as well. It's beautiful and beautifully written.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart