Alaska plates and a crazy story

My friend and I decided to have a competition of who could spot more Alaska plates.  Obviously I am going to win as I am very skilled at this task.  But it will be fun for him to try :)

So this is the only picture I have to share from my phone today

Grateful things:
1.  My friends.  Today I felt pretty sad, but I have a couple of super super wonderful friends who don't have to try very hard to create an environment that washes sadness away.  Including a motorcycle ride.  That works every time

2. My kitty cat Mika and how she comes when I call her and she follows me around outside like a puppy.  It's adorable.  Also, if you want some new running/dance music try Mika- Stardust, Tah Dah, and Origin of Love.  My cat is named after one of my favorite artists.

3. My sister is going to have her baby any day now!  I feel a special tie to this baby since she is in my same place in the family (girl close in age to an awesome older sister).  I'm so excited to meet her and see my sister's (and my) family growing!

Today something happened that reminded me of this other thing that happened, and I will tell about the other thing since the today thing was kind of embarrassing and I don't want to tell all about it yet.

Once I did some volunteer hours at the State Hospital (psychiatric hospital) helping out with physical therapy.  Basically I was a cheerleader for patients while they exercised, and I sang along with them to Michael Jackson songs.  It was awesome.  Except for the one time I was assigned to help a guy who I guess was having a hard day.  He had been pretty quiet so I tried to be extra encouraging and energetic, hopefully to help him be successful at his workout.  I guess at some point he got fed up because out of nowhere he got RIGHT up in my face, I mean RIGHT UP in my face and screamed at me so loud that it turned his face red.  Scary red.

The whole gym went silent and everyone turned to look at us.  He stopped yelling, grunted in frustration, and stormed off.  I tried to return people's concerned gazes to let them know I was ok.  I must have not looked ok though because they kept staring.  In shocked silence.  Then I started shaking...and then the tears started to flow.  I tried to make it a quick little tear or two that I could hide but much to my humiliation the tears morphed into into gasping and crying uncontrollably like it was a real emergency.  

The director took me into the office so I wasn't standing in the middle of the gym shaking, crying, and freaking everyone out including the guy who had yelled at me (I was acting much much less stable than the patients in the psych hospital).  People kept trying to come and talk to me about what happened and why was I crying?  I understood that this was unreasonable, and even kind of thought it was funny...but I just couldn't stop the emotional reaction.  The guy in charge came back and gave me the "Ok, stop making a scene and come out and help again," speech.  I really wanted to.  But every time I stepped out of the office, the shaking and tears would start again, it was like magic.  I ended up going home.  I almost didn't become a social worker after that.

Great story, right?

Today was kinda like that but not as bad.  Ha, maybe that was actually more embarrassing than today, but further in the past so easier to tell about :)

Comments

Bill said…
I was talking about you to your niece Hailey yesterday. I was giving here the evil eye for dropping food on the floor. She was giving me puppy eyes back! I told her you had the best puppy eyes ever!

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart