The Man in the Mirror


I seriously think this is one of the best songs ever written and ever sung.  

As I, turn up the collar on 
my favorite winter coat
this wind is blowin' my mind.
I see the kids in the street
with not enough to eat, 
Who am I to be blind, 
pretending now to see their need?

I say that last line to myself almost every single day.  
I'm a social worker, ya know?
I feel the message of this song in my bones.

I have mentioned this before, I really feel like the world has invested in me.  I think the world has invested in everyone.  I owe it to EVERYONE and to myself to be the very best me I can be and do something to make the world better.  On some level I think that's why everyone who invested in me did it.  They thought, they hoped that somehow they could make a difference in the world because I might make a difference to the world.

I've been a victim of 
a selfish kind of love, 
it's time that I realize
that there are some with no home,
not a nickel to loan
could it be really me
pretending that they're not alone?

A widow deeply scarred,
somebody's broken heart
and a washed out dream.
They follow the pattern of
the wind, you see, 
'cause they got to place to be
that's why I'm starting with me.

I think the message of this song captures my feelings perfectly.  

"If you want to make the world a better place, 
take a look at yourself and then make the change."

I have been given so much.  What a waste to not do everything I can to make a difference.

I know MJ was weird and stuff but some of his music was unquestionably SO good and so powerful.  You can see it in the crowds in the video.  If he was still around I might consider his being the first real concert I ever went to.

Grateful things:
1. I had a little bit of time tonight and I finally got rid of all of the boxes in my living room that have been laying around from receiving shipments from Backcountry.com and Steep and Cheap and bringing them back to the store myself.  Lots of boxes folks.  I'm grateful for that rare extra time.

2.  Today I got to work with people from another country.  They were so gracious and positive despite their terribly unfortunate situation.  I loved being with them and their happy attitude made me want to go to the end of the world to help them.

3. NPR.  I know that's kind of weird but I feel like it actually keeps me pretty connected to the world, and continuously brings up interesting topics and questions.  Being out of school has really broadened my thoughts.  Instead of worrying about assignments I am worried about the whole world.  And that's A LOT more challenging and interesting, which are two of the main things I valued about being in school.

Slight correction, yesterday I called Sadie Sadie Elizabeth but her real name is Sadie Emily!  I think I was thinking about the girl from the Clifford books, Emily Elizabeth and I was typing kinda fast and well...sorry Sadie.  I changed it and I love you :)

Comments

Chelsea said…
I was just listening to that song yesterday! So good! And it does make you think.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Back Alaska

My truth about "pretty"

my broken heart